Marni Wandner is the founder and owner of Sneak Attack Media, an online marketing and promotions company with a focus on music and literature. Current and former clients include Tom Petty, Counting Crows, Rufus Wainwright, Jukebox the Ghost, Regina Spektor, Noah and the Whale, Neil Young and N.A.S.A. We wasted some time together discussing where she finds new music, llamas and the smell of nuts4nuts carts. Enjoy!
1. In 2-4 sentences, please describe your style
Mostly black…lots of boots over jeans situations. oh damn it’s summer, so I’m gonna start rocking the dresses…with boots.
2. What are your favorite places to shop?
3.Your 5-10 favorite albums are…?
Of ever? Ok…in no particular order, here are a bunch of faves of all time (ish):
Michael Jackson / Thriller
Elvis Costello / Brutal Youth (and also My Aim is True)
Madonna/ Madonna (and also Like a Virgin)
Dar Williams / Mortal City
Candi Staton / Candi Staton
Talking Heads / Speaking in Tongues
Fugazi / Steady Diet of Nothing
The Pixies / Doolittle
The Flaming Lips / The Soft Bulletin
Jose Gonzalez / Veneer (and also In Our Nature)
4. Your favorite things about the city?
The fact that you can do/get/see anything at pretty much any time
The smell of the nuts4nuts carts
The skyline, from outside of the city
5. Favorite eating destinations?
6. What are some of your obsessions right now? (music, visual artists, type of wine, chicken wings, etc)
7. Favorite NYC neighborhood and why?
The East Village. I lived there for a long time and it just has everything: any kind of restaurant, (actually) affordable vintage stuff, great people-watching, and sometimes, a drunk guy passed out in front of your door so you can’t leave your building.
8. What are some of your favorite films?
Breakfast at Tiffany’s
A Chorus Line
The Last Unicorn
The Royal Tenenbaums
Best in Show
9. Let’s say you have a completely free Saturday. What’s your favorite way to waste time?
A completely what WHAT? Let’s see..I’d go to brunch with friends, take a walk in the park, play some Scrabble, cook something awesome, have a mini dance party, read, do a crossword and fall asleep trying to stay awake for SNL
10. Since you are a marketing/publicist extraordinaire, where do read up on music? Which blogs do you favor? What are your favorite news sources (music or non-music)?
Haha…”extraordinaire”….i look at Elbo.ws a lot, mainly to hear the bands people are talking about. I read Pitchfork, Stereogum, Brooklyn Vegan, The Music Slut, Gorilla vs Bear, Music Snobbery, Ryan’s Smashing Life, You Ain’t No Picasso, Spinner…a LOT of other blogs and websites…
I get a lot of music recommendations from friends, especially the ones not in the music industry—it’s cool seeing what they like and what’s made it out of the “music biz bubble”
11. What makes you happy? (butterflies, signing a new client, rainbows, unicorns, kicking ass at work, etc)
All of those things definitely make me happy. Also, generally a dog wearing an outfitwill do it…and good weather.
A Question for you…Cute, or scary:
You can stalk Marni and her company on Twitter:
Sneak Attack: @teamsneakattack
To find out more about Sneak Attack Media, visit their site.